I was doing my research fieldwork around the Bangi area in late November 2011, when I suddenly stumbled into a stray pregnant female cat. I was instantly attracted to her unique appearance, her face looked like a sad mime or harlequin. When i tried to approach her, she scuttled away. I saw something weird about the way she ran away, it was only then I realized that she has 1 missing hand, and the wound was still bloody & raw. Feeling sympathy for this 3-legged cat, I proceeded to feed & check on her for the next 2 days and nights. On the 3rd day, I successfully captured her & immediately brought her to the vet for treatment. This is her story..and mine. A story about Harlie, the 3-legged cat.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The day saya berjaya rescue Harlie

24/11/11

Di bawah ni ialah apa yg saya tulis di FB saya pada hari yang saya telah berjaya menangkap Harlie, iaitu pada 24/11/11. Saya kemudiannya telah membawa dia ke beberapa vet di sekitar Bangi & Kajang, termasuk the regular vet for my 2 cats, Dr Wong. Dia dah jadi vet kami for 4 years now.Tp pada hari tersebut, disebabkan sebab2 tertentu & diatas recommendation rakan2 di FB, saya telah membawa Harlie ke Honey Vet Clinic di Seksyen 3, Bandar Baru Bangi. Saya find out Dr Joe & Dr Nurul memang vet yg bagus..dan saya rasa I've made the right decision. Cerita selanjutnya seperti di bawah.

Alhamdulillah, good news everyone! I've managed to catch her earlier this afternoon. She came willingly enough this time, straight into the pet carrier where I also put a bowl of food in. Once I closed the pet carrier door and picked the carrier up to walk to my car, I could feel her moving about. I guess she must've felt awkward about balancing her weight in a moving pet carrier, what with her having only 3 limbs and all. Anyway, proceeded to take some photos of her which I'll post up later. All the way to the vet, she was so quiet, unlike my cats who will get agitated & meow loudly everytime they're in the car. I also think she was amazed and perhaps shocked as well, as I don't think she's ever been in a car before..poor girl. Anyway, in total, me and Harlie (I've decided to name her that for the time being, in view of her looking so much like a harlequin, albeit a sad one) went & visited 3 vet clinics today! I did that because I wanted to get the best treatment and opinion for Harlie. The first vet couldn't hospitalize her for more than 3 days for some weird reason, and they also couldn't do the FIV & FeLV test in-house for Harlie. The 2nd vet, while having very good doctors,had improper boarding facilities and they're also quite expensive. So in the end I decided to settle on the 3rd vet, which had good doctors, proper boarding facilities and decent prices.

The vet said Harlie is likely to be 2-3 years old, and the missing limb could be due to either abuse (some monster cut it off) or an auto accident, after which the limb turned gangrenous and fell off by itself. But the vet also said that since the stump is clean cut, its more likely to be the former, i.e abuse. The vet also said that she's likely to deliver her babies in 2 weeks time or so.

In short, for the time being Harlie will be treated for her wound (daily dressing & wound management) and her flu (she has a runny nose). She was also sprayed with Spot On anti flea medication & given an antibiotic jab. Harlie will have a steady stream of medications (antibiotics, painkillers, antiseptic cream, etc) given to her after this. She also tested negative for feline HIV & FeLV, alhamdulillah. Doctor is recommending her to get some rest & cage time at the vet while her wound is being treated, after that we'll see how it goes. I'd most probably put her & her babies up for adoption, hopefully there'll be someone willing to take her in.

Harlie will be at the vet for the next 1 week, and tentatively it would cost RM425 for her 7 night stay, FIV & FeLV test, medication & daily wound dressing. If anyone would like to contribute to help me foot the vet bill, please PM me, it'd be much appreciated. :)


Ni gambar Harlie masa saya mula2 berjaya memasukkan dia dalam pet carrier. Happy sgt masa dapat rescue & tangkap dia tu :)



Yg ni pulak ialah gambar test kit FIV & FeLV utk Harlie, resultnya negative (-) alhamdulillah.



Ni Harlie masa kene timbang kat Honey Vet Clinic. Berat dia & kandungannya was 4.5kg, berat heheh.



No comments:

Post a Comment